Happy Friday everyone. Today for my final post in this weeks summer series I wanted to look at some quick and simple ways to sit down, unwind and relax. The final piece of my summer healing puzzle.
Whether you're running around trying to keep up with the pace of today's busy lifestyle or if you've been following this week long series because you are also, like me, looking for ways to recover after a little too much summer excitement, we all need to take a step back to unwind and relax every now and again.
Once you've had your morning smoothie, tried out my DIY facial, practised a little healing yoga and eaten your way through my healthy hangover lunch you're going to be about ready to kick back and chill out! So here are some really simple and effective ways that you can do just that, and find a moment to reconnect to you.
FIVE SIMPLE SUMMER STRESS BUSTERS
1. Embrace Nature: Take advantage of the summer season and the brighter weather and simply go and sit outside somewhere peaceful, calm and relaxing. Enjoy the simplicity of the nature around you and bring yourself back to a place of inner calm and rest. If you're stuck in the city then do a little research and hunt down your nearest green space or local park to make your outdoor home for a relaxing hour or so. You might also enjoy this previous post: Enjoy A Stress-Less Summer In The City.
2. Make A List: In order to switch off your brain for a little while it can be useful to first sit down and make a list of all of the things in your head you need to do that are bothering you. Once you've made that list, set it aside and allow yourself some thought free time, safe in the knowledge that everything you've got to do later in the day or week is all recorded and ready to go once you're in a better frame of mind to tackle it.
3. Unplug: It's not the first time I've mentioned this on here but if you really want to unwind forget that phone, put down that tablet, switch off that laptop and truly allow yourself to unplug. The world won't stop turning if you just take a little time back for yourself away from the heady world of emails and the tiring temptations of social media. If you need to schedule time into your weekly calendar to remind and allow yourself to switch off. Honestly you can do it!
4. Have A Cuddle With Your Four-Legged Friend: If animals are your thing then taking the time to sit and pet them properly without distraction will not only earn you many brownie points with them, but will also heartily chill you out as well. Studies have shown that just a few minutes petting your dog or cat, or just simply switching off and watching fish swim can lower your levels of cortisol, the stress inducing hormone, and make a serious difference to the way you feel.
5. Listen To Music: One of my favourite ways to unwind is to listen to my favourite music. Whether that be some heart thumping tunes to help me shake off the madness of a busy day or perhaps just something soothing, simple and quiet to help feel more at peace. In my Making Time For Music post I vowed to try harder to set aside a little time to do just that and whenever I do I always feel brighter and more at ease. So if you need a few tunes to help you relax this afternoon then you may enjoy my Summer Chill Out playlist on Soundcloud.
So there we have my five ways to take time out and switch off. I hope the above ideas help. Sometimes we just need a little reminder to give ourselves the permission to take time to de-stress and get our minds and bodies back to a more neutral place of contentment. If you're still hungry for more ways to switch off then try this great article here: 40 Ways To Relax In 5 Minutes Or Less - Greatist.
What works for you when you really need to take time out? Do you have any other great relaxing and unwinding tips or tricks?
Let me know your thoughts and have a great weekend everyone.